Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Netflix and Sin

Strange title I know.  Sometimes my brain works in weird ways.  

I was introduced to Netflix in late summer or early fall of 2015.  I have watched A LOT of tv shows.  I enjoy the fact that most of them have the entire seasons available so I can just keep watching. 

I have recently finished watching a series on there that was really good.  What I find I do when I watch a show is get fixated (for lack of a better word) on one of the actors.  What I then do is research that person on the World Wide Web.   What I found out about this particular actor actually surprised me.  I figured he was married with a few kids or had been in several relationships.  What I didn't expect to find is that he has struggled with depression most of his life.  He has tried to take his own life and finally "came out" in public not that long ago.  

This completely caught me off guard.  Not sure why.  In Hollywood you never know what you will find and a lot of what you read/hear is not real anyway.  This time, however, I watched a speech he made that explained all of this.  In one part of the speech he mentioned that he now felt a part of a community.  In a book we just finished reading at our Bible Study there was a part about a gang member who tried going to church but he was treated better by the gang he was in then the people at the church.  

I have been so burdened by this actor for the last couple of weeks.  I pray for him every night.  I want him to see the truth.  Not my truth but the truth of God.  I just read an article about homosexuality.  It was in correlation to all the sins found in 1 Timothy 1:8-10 (Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully,understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers,10 the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers,[b]liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound[c] doctrine, 11 in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.) and spoke about how all the other sins are still frowned upon in today's society but homosexuality is actually applauded, celebrated and becoming prevalent.  

I am not writing this trying to be "better" than anyone else.  I, in fact, am a still a sinner.  I struggle with so many things.  The good news is that I have a personal relationship with Jesus.  I struggle every day to make choices that will please Him and honor Him.  That is evident in the fact that I still weigh over 400 lbs and have money problems.  But I do know where my hope comes from.   I do struggle with depression as you saw in my last post.  And I know that my sins are no different than homosexuality.  I just pray for this actor that somehow he will hear the truth.  That he will turn from this sin and that he will come to know Christ.  I am working on the plank in my eye so I want to reiterate that I am not judging him.  That is not my place.  My job is to pray for him.  Pray for all those who have made that choice.  Pray for Christians who struggle with sin.  We are not perfect.  We never will be.  We just need to remember that Christ died on that cross for each and every one of us.  That no matter what our sin is, we can be forgiven and we can turn from that sin.  We don't have to continue living in it.  



Dear Heavenly Father,  thank you for what you are doing in my life.  Thank you that even though I continue to make choices that are opposite than what You want for me, You have not given up on me.  Thank you that I can pray for someone that I have never even met.  Someone that for whatever reason You have laid on my heart.  Help us both to change.  Help us both to turn to you for our happiness, our love, our knowledge that we are loved.  That no matter what anyone says or does that You love us.  You want the best for us.  Lord, I know what I need to do and I pray that I do it.  I pray that this actor you laid on my heart will somehow hear your word and know what he needs to do.  That only through you can he find the happiness and love he has been missing all his life.  If you can use me besides the prayer, please help me to be bold.  Lord, I do love you, I do want to do the right things and I know that if I just step aside and let you work that you have amazing things for me.  In Jesus' name, Amen

No comments:

America - Where do we go from here?

 Today, January 6, 2021, is the day that the truth of the election fraud came to light by having the states not certify the electoral colleg...