Monday, September 28, 2009

Accountability - September 27th

I have this book of daily devotions that I have had for about 15 years. I got it in Pennsylvania when I went to visit a very dear family friend. I read through it several years ago and obviously did not heed the advice on the pages. It is called Day by Day Love is a Choice - Devotions for Codependents.

When everything with my mom happened in the last 5 weeks I decided to pick up this book a few days ago and start reading again. The first date that I looked at talked about "Reparenting". Thought that was pretty appropriate. But yesterday's is the one that really hit home. I am not sure about copywriting things so I hope I don't get in trouble for typing this here but I wanted you to see what God was telling me through this book yesterday.

Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. - Gal 6:2

"Who has helped you bear your burdens? Was there a special friend who reached out to you in your time of need? Have you thanked them?

Do you know how to bear others' burdens without getting caught once again in the trap of codependency? Ask God to help you so you can become the person he desires for you to be. You will miss out on a great deal of pleasure in this life if you do not learn how to truly help others.

Bearing another's burden does not mean solving his or her problems. It does not mean feeling responsible for the problem; it does mean sympathizing with the pain. Recognize what you can and cannot do for this person and accept the reality of your limits. Pray for them and let them know you are thinking about them and are concerned with what they are experiencing.

Your journey toward healthy living does involve reaching out to help others. Are you ready to grow in this way? If so, you will gain wonderful blessings, not the bondage of codependency.

The part in red is the part that really stood out for me. What an easy concept to read and understand but what a hard concept to do.

Dear Heavenly Father, help me to learn that I am not responsible for solving the world's problem's even though I feel that if I don't I won't be loveable or people will leave me. Help me to know what the limit is and the balance is so that I can help where I am needed but in a way that will encourage the other person without making it an unhealthy relationship. Thank you for giving me this book so many years ago and putting it on my heart to read again. Thank you for all you are doing in my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

God Bless,
Karen

P.S. Thank you all for being there through this journey. I am so blessed to have you all in my life and know that without God and you I would not be able to get through this.

No comments:

America - Where do we go from here?

 Today, January 6, 2021, is the day that the truth of the election fraud came to light by having the states not certify the electoral colleg...