Monday, December 3, 2007

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 (First installment)

12 days. How does a life change in 12 days? A stubborn person waits 40 years and in just 12 days has made a lifestyle change that should have happened years ago. My journey to better health began officially on Thursday, October 4, 2007 when I started a 1,500 calorie per day diet. Okay. I have done “diet’s” before and have never followed through. What makes this one any different?

Well, let me start by saying that without putting my weight battle into God’s hands I never would have made it this far. One day at a time is about all I can do in one stretch. Mostly I am working on the 1 meal at a time theme. So far, for something that I have made so difficult in the past there have only been two days when I wasn’t sure I was going to make it. The first day and last Friday. By 4:30pm on the first day I had only eaten about 430 calories. I was afraid to eat. I didn’t want to blow it the first day. Last Friday I worked my two jobs and just felt famished on Friday evening after work. Though I did eat fast food that day I made a healthy choice.

Throughout the last 12 days I have been tempted with a container of Buckeye Candy (If you don’t know what that is just think peanut butter, butter and powered sugar dipped into chocolate – MY FAVORITE DESSERT), baking for a bake sale at work, going to a Chinese buffet, baking brownies for my volunteer job and the actual bake sale as well. I survived every challenge, I believe with flying colors. Also, besides just the normal emotional changes that come with making a lifestyle change I have had to deal with a mom who is battling health issues and going to the homecoming game at the college I attended for a few years hoping once again that the guy I had been infatuated with for 20 years would show up and not having him be there AGAIN. The last time I based my hopes on this person being there was in 1993 when I thought he would be there, didn’t see him so I binged at a local restaurant and then when I got back to the stadium low and behold he was there. I felt miserable. We talked for a little while and once again he disappeared. I spoke with him the night before his 30th birthday almost 11 years ago and have not spoken with him again. I had been on the path in 1993 to lose weight but seeing him and getting a computer ended that very quickly. I, so far, have survived his absence once again, pretty well.

So, what makes this different? The only thing I can figure out is that God thinks I am ready to handle the changes that losing weight will bring. I have been obese my entire life and don’t know what a healthy weight will be like. I have never been on a date or had a boyfriend. I have never been kissed. He obviously knew that I was not ready for any of those things. Maybe now I am? Maybe I am also ready to step out in faith and let Him finally lead instead of me trying to do it all myself?

Tonight I go for my official “weigh-in” and am pretty excited. I went to my regular doctor last night and according to his scales I have lost about 5.8 pounds in the first 11 days of this journey. That is without doing any exercising. Now I need to step that up and get moving along with the food changes. I will keep you posted on how things are going. Thanks for taking this journey with me.

No comments:

America - Where do we go from here?

 Today, January 6, 2021, is the day that the truth of the election fraud came to light by having the states not certify the electoral colleg...